Mental Health and Well Being
Mental Health and Well Being at Stella Maris
At Stella Maris Catholic Primary School, we are dedicated and committed to supporting the positive mental health and well-being of our whole school community (children, staff, governors, parents and carers). We recognise our core purpose of preparing and inspiring learners who are confident in living out our School Mission, Gospel Values and Vision, enabling them to grow to become outstanding, kind citizens of God’s world.
“This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you.” John 15:12
What is Mental Health?
The World Health Organisation defines mental health as a state of wellbeing in which every individual achieves their potential, copes with the normal stresses of life, works productively and fruitfully, and is able to make a contribution to their community. Mental Health includes our emotional, psychological and social wellbeing. It affects how we think, feel and act.
Good mental health and wellbeing is just as important as good physical health. Like physical health, mental health can range across a spectrum from healthy to unwell; it can fluctuate on a daily basis and change over time.
What can help?
- Feeling loved, trusted, supported, understood, valued and safe
- Having a sense of belonging at school and at home
- Having good physical health
- Eating a well balanced diet
- Regular exercise
- Doing things you love
- Going to a school that looks after the well being of it's students and their families
- Taking part in activities
- Being able to learn and having a wide range of opportunities to have fun!